A Record of Life and Thoughts

Thursday, February 1, 2018

Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable-Spartan Round 3...Part 2 the Sprint

 After a night filled with noisy hotel guests in the room upstairs, it was back to Ft Carson for round 2 in the "hills" of Colorado.  There was definitely a feeling of confidence that goes along with knowing exactly what you're undertaking, although I knew exactly what I was getting into and how much some of it might hurt.  The bucket brigade hill and the constant up and down hills would probably feel worse the 2nd day.  What I found interesting was the people I'd be running alongside.  At the super, people were focused, having fun but still focused on the miles ahead.  The sprint was a lot more of a relaxed atmosphere but everyone seemed to be in their little groups that they were running with.  No interacting with others.  It's not that it was anything bad, just a very interesting difference in the atmosphere of the 2 days.  Personally I liked the atmosphere of the super plus I liked that these people were more than likely very dedicated- kind of like the difference between showing up for a 5K and a marathon.  It felt like there were more helpful folks, encouraging words, dedicated racers for the super and the sprint folks maybe weren't as familiar with the incredible atmosphere of Spartans.  The encouragement, helping each other over the walls, giving great words of encouragement as you went along the course are all things that brought me back to running Spartans.  A lot like the atmosphere of camp.  You aren't necessarily trying to outrun the person beside you and you're cheering them on and helping them out because you want them to succeed too!  You want everyone to be successful!  So I did my best to show the folks out on the course the "spartan way".

There were obstacles that were cut out as they shortened the course from 9 miles to 5.  No z wall, fewer carries, but still all the hills, including the one at the end.  Ug!  But that hill wasn't as bad the 2nd day because I knew where it ended this time and in this case, that was a good thing.  However my grip was nonexistent Sunday.  After making it the entire way, fairly easily, on the Twister on Saturday, I barely made it halfway.  The bucket brigade was shorter but a lot more loose rocks as folks lost rocks when they dropped their buckets.  I slipped and ended up with the ugliest bruise on my thigh along with a few cactus thorns in my butt.  Olympus was super tough with my worn out hands and while I made it to the end, I actually whiffed on the bell but they said I made it. ;-)  I  did more burpees Sunday even though there were fewer obstacles.  I failed the same ones as I did Saturday plus the ones for the twister.  I was just too worn out to do it again.  My legs were good...it was my arms.  I knew that was my weak point anyways.

It was another gorgeous day in Colorado and a great day to race.  I was a little slower per mile, mostly due to the bottleneck at the obstacles (another reason I liked the super, fewer racers).  But still a very respectable 2:13:21, still over an hour faster than my very first spartan sprint in Ohio.  Overall, a great experience in Colorado.  I'd do that race again if I could.  Probably won't for at least a year or so...traveling during the late spring is hard with the job but if it lines up with Mother's day again I might.  I got super lucky too with the weather.  It was in the 80's while I was there...and it snowed 2 days after I left!  I came home with 2 medals, 2 hard earned pieces of my trifecta journey.  Now there was going to be a nice break..haha who am I kidding, summer camp was around the corner...but the last piece of my trifecta journey would come in early December.  I got to visit the beautiful Garden of the Gods and the Olympic Training Center before I left for home.  A great trip out west for sure!





No comments:

Post a Comment